Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 3, 2008 - Getting Settled

Today was a good day. It began with breakfast, I walked to the kitchen and on my way met Rosa, who told me I lied. I told her I would be at breakfast and I wasn’t. Rosa is an 8 year old here at the center, and she is also a superstar. Everyone knows her, and her social personality. Loving that she wanted took an interest in me, we went and god some bread and sat down with the other kids. Today, they served tea and milk (which also has sugar in it). It was ridiculously good and I don’t even like tea. I couldn’t finish it though because I don’t like sugary drinks (i.e hot chocolate).

After that, I attended children’s church. At about 10 am, after school, all the children fill into the kitchen/cafeteria for church. We walked in to a band playing loudly and the kids finding their seats. Pascoal, one of the guys who came to intern at the church for a few months, played drums. It was great, but really hard to pay attention since I didn’t understand word they were singing or saying. I left a little early to try to get a nap, but was unsuccessful. At lunch, they had rice with potato toppings an chicken feet… I just go the rice. Unlike yesterday’s meal, my family does not regularly eat chicken feet and potatoes. A few brave souls tried it, said it wasn’t that bad. But inevitably, they couldn’t finish it because it was foot.
Sandy, one of the ladies from Australia and Lisa and I sat and talked about what we couldn’t or wouldn’t eat on a mission trip. The other teams that are here, are awesome by the way. There’s one girl, Kat, from Pennsylvania who came by herself. The other team, crazily enough is made up of a group of people from San Angelo and Brownwood, cities that are like an hour away from Abilene. Isn’t’ that crazy? Out of everywhere in the world, these are the people who came also.

After lunch, I found some girls and hung out with them in their dorm. I loved how, no matter where you are little girls are still the same. They played with dolls and did each other’s hair. They play make believe and play games. For a minute, I lost my camera as they passed it and took pictures of each others. Al

Also, I loved seeing how African women also act black. I don’t know if that is offensive as I am not a sociologist or historian and do not read articles on race relations and political correctness, but they were definitely talking like some girls who lived on my block. Acting black does not mean stereotypical, ignorant behavior like the media portrays. It doesn’t mean they act “ghetto” either. (“Ghetto” is a discussion for another day.) What it means is their tone of voice, they way the talk, walk, stand, and joke with each other, guide the children, etc can be found exactly with black women in America. And these mannerisms I have not seen in any other ethnic groups. The only differences is that most of them do not have perms and wear capolanas or clothes that cover their knees. (The knee is the sexiest part of the body here). I just really liked this. I felt at home.

That feeling continued later that night when we went downtown to eat at Mimmo’s restaurant. Jimmy and Linda treated the whole team. Driving there, I looked at the homes. They look a lot like the homes you see on tv, caved in walls, trash all over the place, street lights not working… but I could see myself living there... here. I just really liked watching the people, and I felt like I could belong.

After we returned, we met in the visitor’s kitchen area to pray and dismissed. I just pray this at home feeling does not turn into apathy. This morning, I prayed, “Jesus, than k you for bringing me here. You obviously made away and wanted me to come. But I don’t know why I’m here, Lord. Show me your purpose.” IN this center, I forgot that I am on a mission that I’m here for God. I play with the kids and wonder shouldn’t I be doing something right now. I have not equated loving the kids with God’s work. Its’ just so natural and that it’s too easy.

And then I worry, if I did become a missionary, I would become apathetic. I would fight it so much that I would forget I was purposed there as a plight. I would love people in Jesus more silently, quietly, becoming a good person – never encouraging rebuking or loving truly in the name of Jesus. I would see people dying and not give them truth because I’m trying to be a good person and fit in… and I wonder when I fully set into this role.

Jesus, please break me out of this, Lord. I want to be used mightily for your purpose, tongue and all. Heart and all. Hands and all. Feet and all. Usher me back into your presence. I need you for my every moment, every day. I need you to love these children. I need you to love these specific children. I need you to remember their names! I need you to pour your Spirit ever more over them. Open my heart that I may receive.


I should’ve written about this on the first day of I was tired. I remember that the South African sunrise was the 1st thing that met us. I took a picture for my daddy. We then waited in the airport to get our tickets before flying to Mozambique. We were briefed to say everything in our bag cost nothing, none of it was new, and to speed by customs. A few people did get searched though. At the end, 4 bags were missing and we got 2 back on Tuesday night. (tonight) we then drove to the center and took in how horrible the driving is. Never can anyone talk about the city or even Mexican roads. In Mozambique, it’s first come, first serve. Meaning cars keep driving, unfazed at60 mph, into an intersection and with will sped around you. What makes it even more interesting is this happens on al sides. Two way lane roads can become one way if the cars decide. Anyways, we got into the center and made quick friends. I felt privileged because later that afternoon, the girls took me into their dorms. The girls are notoriously harder at first to let people in, so It was really meaningful. They showed me their gifts from Children’s day, and Rosa offered to braid my hair like here’s. Children’s day is like Christmas, but it comes in June. IT’s a national holiday and the kids get gifts and have parties all day. Then we had dinner and get this… it was rice, beans, and hamhocks. I dang near died. I couldn’t keep it to myself that we eat this all the time at home and was just proud that my ties to Africa were so clearly visible.

After dinner, we went to the Youth Service in the city. Its’ called Som de Ceu, Sound of Heave, and is an outreach to the street kids . IT’s held in an old theatre downtown. The theatre looked exactly like the Student Union theatre at UT except here were as little more leg space. The service was live. In Africa, they dance during worship and I felt so at home. Aly and I went tot the font of the sage, and at one point was doing something that could e considered to be the running man. WE both understand spa Spanish, so we were able to get a vague understanding of the Portuguese songs because of the lyrics on the screen. Needless say, we were sweating at the end.

IT was fantastic!

However, most of the team was sawing in their seat during the service. Many hadn’t gotten sleep in the 2 day airplane rise, so it was thought. Part of the worship included this guy named Paulo, who raped and did the hook in English. It was pretty cool.
Had I understood the words, I would’ve been able to share more about it, I just love how hip hop culture is everywhere. Love it! And I equate hip hop culture with Black American culture.

I just love how we influence each other. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment